Join us Friday, November 17, 2017, from 1-1:30pm ET for the next webinar in our Career Choice Series.
NOTE: This is not for CLE. The recording will be posted and available to view within 7 business days.
In this segment our speakers will share how they landed a job in their respective federal agencies. There are many perks to working as an attorney in the federal government such as the Federal Trade Commission, Department of Education, Social Security Administration or Department of Justice:
- opportunities to immediately develop your knowledge, skills, and abilities
- exposure to many areas of law
- may advise on agency legal or policy matters
- no billable hour requirement
- manageable work/life balance with a reasonable work week, federal holidays, and ample vacation and sick leave
- health and retirement benefits and loan repayment programs
- flexibility in terms of geographical location and movement between agencies
Our speakers will provide invaluable insight into how they broke into their respective positions*, the pros and cons, and what a typical day in their practice entails.
Adele Rapport is the Director of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights in Chicago, Illinois. Adele enforces civil rights (similar to the EEOC where she previously worked) including antidiscrimination laws based on race, color, national origin, sex (including harassment), disability, and students with individualized education plans. She conducts investigations and issue finds.
Steve Vieux is an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, DC, where he practices antitrust law conducting investigations and litigation on behalf of consumers. He was formerly a Special U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia prosecuting domestic violence cases.
*Please note, both our speakers are presenting as individuals and do not represent or speak on behalf of the Department of Education or Federal Trade Commission or any governmental entity.
Cheryl Rich Heisler, President and Founder, LAWTERNATIVES, Chicago, IL; Board Member, ABA Legal Career Central